Is Your AC Spreading Spores? Tips for Eliminating Air-Conditioner Mold
Air-conditioning units are persistently damp because they draw moisture out of the air. That moisture creates a prime environment for things like mold to thrive. Unfortunately, those mold spores can be problematic for allergy sufferers, may lead to respiratory problems, and could cause other medical concerns. The combination of the dirt and dust in the environment with the condensation inside the air conditioner creates the perfect environment for those mold spores to thrive. Here are some of the things you need to know about spotting and treating mold in your air conditioner.
Warning Signs of Air-Conditioner Mold
One of the earliest apparent signs of mold in your home's air-conditioning unit is a musty-like odor in the air. Inspect the ducts, the cooling coils, and the drip pans for signs of spotting that could indicate mold growth. Another key place to look is inside and around the intake vents. If you see spots of visible mold, that's an easy indication. However, if you're noticing a musty smell but can't see mold spots, you should still reach out to your local HVAC technician or air-conditioning installation company to help you because they can break down the unit further to find hidden areas of mold.
Treatments for Mold in Your Air Conditioner
If you find mold in your air conditioner, you need to clean the system carefully to make sure that the mold doesn't return. It can be tough to find all of the mold spores with so many crevices and spaces. That's why it's important that you work with an air-conditioning technician who can help you address the problem. Should you want to do this job yourself, you'll need to be particularly thorough.
Protect yourself from exposure first and foremost. Pick up some protective gloves for your hands and a respiratory mask for your face. This protects you from the skin irritation and respiratory threats.
Create a mixture of a few tablespoons of baking soda with about a tablespoon or so of liquid dishwashing soap in a cup or two of warm water. Put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it where the mold is visible. Allow the spray to sit for several minutes, then wipe it away with a soft cloth. Once you've done that, give the space a final wipe with a clean, damp paper towel. You may need to repeat this process a couple of times to get the results you want.
For professional help, contact a company such as Glendale Heating & Air Conditioning.